The Pavilion is a four screen independent family run cinema in Galashiels. We are the Scottish Borders’ only four screen entertainment venue and offer a terrific mix of the latest Hollywood blockbuster movies and the best internationally recognised event cinema productions.
The Pavilion opened it’s doors in June 1920 as “The Playhouse” and was a mixed use building featuring a combined auditorium that ran cinema and theatre productions, retail units on the ground floor and a dance hall.
In the 1960’s the main auditorium was converted into a bingo hall in the stalls and a cinema in the former balcony. The floor was extended, a new proscenium was installed to form the screen wall. The layout and basic design of what is now Screen 1 has not changed since that time. At the same time and – at that time, contemporary – black and white cladding was fixed to the front of the 1920’s art-deco façade.
In 1993 an extensive multimillion-pound refurbishment of the building began which saw the installation of 3 additional cinema screens. Two of those screens were created out of the cavernous space of the old theatre fly tower, stage area and orchestra pit which were left behind in the 1960’s alterations. At the same time, the controversial and, frankly, hideous black and white cladding was removed and the façade returned to it’s glorious art-deco splendour.
The cinema is now a modern, clean, professionally operated mini-multiplex cinema which shows a mix of the latest Hollywood blockbusters as well as an engaging and exciting event cinema program.
The Poole family have operated the cinema since October 1993, but their history in cinema goes back as far as the 1940’s. Now on the second generation, the cinema is operated by husband and wife teams; Andrew & Lenore and Neil & Lorna, and they are supported by a dedicated, hard-working team of film-mad staff!